Get your free Syllabus of Class 9 CBSE English for the academic year 2018 – 2019. English syllabus contains 11 Prose, 10 Peotry and 10 Supplementry reader.Syllabus is also helpful for all CBSE Schools following NCERT publications. You can check the best visuals of CBSE Syllabus in our LearnFatafat CBSE Video Courses☺.
Section Wise Weightage
- Section A Reading Skills 20 Mark
- Section B Writing skills and grammar 30 Marks
- Section C Literature Textbook and Supplementary Reading Text 30 Marks
- Total Weightage 80 Marks
The annual examination will be of 80 marks, with a duration of three hours
SECTION A: READING
20 marks should be covered in 50 periods. This section will have two reading passages.
- Q.1: A Factual passage 300-350 words with eight Very Short Answer type Questions.
- Q.2: A Discursive passage of 350-400 words with four Short Answer type Questions
to test inference, evaluation and analysis with four Very Short Answer Questions to test vocabulary 12 marks
SECTION B: WRITING AND GRAMMAR
30 marks should be covered in 60 periods.
- Q.3: Writing an Article/ Descriptive Paragraph( person/ place/ event/diary entry) in about 100-150 words based on visual or verbal cue/s. The questions will be thematically based on the prescribed books. 8 marks
- Q.4: Writing a short story based on a given outline or cue/s in about 150 – 200 words. 10 marks
The Grammar syllabus will include the following areas in class IX :
- Use of passive voice
- Subject – verb concord
- Reporting Commands and requests
- Noun clauses
- Adverb clauses of condition and time
- Relative clauses
The above items may be tested through test types(grammar in context) as given below:
Q.5: Gap filling with one or two words to test Prepositions, Articles, Conjunctions and Tenses. 4 marks Q.6: Editing or omission 4 marks Q.7: Sentences reordering or sentence transformation in context. 4 marks
SECTION C: LITERATURE TEXTBOOKS
- Q.8. One out of two extracts from prose/poetry/play for reference to the context. Four Very Short Answer Questions: two questions of one mark each on global comprehension and two questions of one mark each on interpretation. (1×4=4 marks)
- Q.9. Five Short Answer Type Questions from BEEHIVE AND MOMENTS (3 questions from BEEHIVE and 2 questions from MOMENTS) to test local and global comprehension of theme and ideas (30-40 words each) 2×5 = 10 marks
- Q.10. One out two long answer type questions from the book BEEHIVE to assess Creativity, imagination and extrapolation beyond the text and across the texts. (100-150 words) 8 marks
- Q.11. One out of two Long Answer Questions from the book MOMENTS on theme or plot
involving interpretation, extrapolation beyond the text and inference or character sketch in about 100-150 words. 8 marks
Prescribed Books: Published by NCERT, New Delhi
- BEEHIVE – Textbook for class IX
- MOMENTS – Supplementary Reader for Class IX
NOTE: Teachers are advised to:
- encourage classroom interaction among peers, students and teachers through
activities such as role play, group work etc.
- reduce teacher-talk time and keep it to the minimum,
- take up questions for discussion to encourage pupils to participate and to marshal their ideas and express and defend their views.
Besides measuring attainment, texts serve the dual purpose of diagnosing mistakes and areas of non-learning. To make evaluation a true index of learners’ attainment, each language skill is to be assessed through a judicious mixture of different types of questions.
Reading Section: Reading for comprehension, critical evaluation, inference and
analysis are skills to be tested.
Writing Section: All types of short and extended writing tasks will be dealt with.
Grammar: Grammar items mentioned in the syllabus will be taught and assessed.
Listening and Speaking Skills 50 Periods
Syllabus Of Class 9 CBSE English
ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE (Code No. 184) Course (2018-19)
- The Fun They Had
- The Sound of Music
- The Little Girl
- A Truly Beautiful Mind
- The Snake and the Mirror
- My Childhood
- Reach for the Top
- The Bond of Love
- If I were you
- The Road Not Taken
- Rain on the Roof
- The Lake Isle of Innisfree
- A Legend of the Northland
- No Men Are Foreign
- The Duck and the Kangaroo
- On Killing a Tree
- The Snake Trying
- A Slumber did My Spirit Seal
SUPPLEMENTARY READER (Moments)
- The Lost Child
- The Adventures of Toto
- Iswaran the Storyteller
- In the Kingdom of Fools
- The Happy Prince
- Weathering the Storm in Ersama
- The Last leaf
- A House is Not a Home
- The Accidental Tourist
- The Beggar
Click Here For CBSE Class 9 Science Syllabus For Year 2018 – 2019
Click Here For CBSE Class 9 Social Science Syllabus For Year 2018 – 2019
Click Here For CBSE Class 9 Mathematics Syllabus For Year 2018 – 2019