COVID-19 commonly known as Corona virus is affecting mostly people in China with some outbreaks in other countries like Italy, Iran, Japan, South Korea and India. People who become infected with virus can experience mild illness and can recover, but it can be more severe for other people. We can take care of our health and protect others by taking some precautions. Here are some important measures for each one who wants to know, how to prevent from coronavirus ?
Preventive measures against Coronavirus
1. Wash hands frequently
Washing the hands using alcohol-based hand sanitizer or with soap and water, it kills viruses that may be on hands. So make practice to clean your hands regularly and thoroughly as much as possible. Especially after returning home from public places, markets etc.
2. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
Hands are the most exposed surface of the body from where COVID-19 virus may enter our body. The virus is transmitted mostly through eyes, nose and mouth. Hands when touch to the infected surfaces, can pick up viruses. Such contaminated hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. So avoid the touching eyes, nose and mouth before washing the hands.
3. Maintain social distancing
Maintain distance of least 1 metre between you and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. Avoid the handshake with anyone, especially a person having symptoms of cold, fever and cough. This is because when someone coughs or sneezes, he/she spray liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain the virus. So if you are very close to such a person, you can breathe in the droplets, which may contain the COVID-19 virus.
4. Practice respiratory hygiene
Strictly follow personal hygiene if you are suffering from fever, cold, cough and difficulty in breathing. Cover your mouth and nose properly by bending your elbow or with tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately. Stay home if you feel unwell. This is the way you can protect the people around you from viruses such as cold, flu and COVID-19.
5. Practice food safety
Maintain hygiene by washing your hands before and after you handle raw as well as cooked food. During food preparation, cook the food thoroughly and properly, especially raw meat.
6. Stay healthy while travelling
Avoid travelling if you are suffering from cough and fever. If you become sick while travelling take medical help in advance and must share your travelling history with a health care provider.
7. Must avoid things
Here are some measures which are not effective against COVID-2019. Remember these can be harmful.
- Taking traditional herbal remedies
- Wearing multiple masks
- Taking self-medication such as antibiotics
8. Precautions to take while using mask:
- People not having any respiratory symptoms, such as cough, do not need to wear a medical mask.
- Remember, a mask should be used by health workers, caretakers, and individuals with respiratory symptoms, such as fever and cough.
- Before touching the mask, wash your hand with soap and water or clean hands with an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Check mask for tears and holes
- Side of the mask having a metal strip is the top side.
- Make sure that colored side of the mask faces outward, as it is the correct way.
- Place the mask to your face by pinching the metal strip (or stiff edge) of the mask so it mould as the shape of your nose.
- Now Pull down the bottom of the mask’s, such that it covers your mouth as well as your chin.
- Remove elastic loops of the mask behind the ears, after use. Keep the mask away from your face and clothes. Do not touch the contaminated surface of the mask
- After use, discard the mask in a closed bin.
- After touching or discarding the mask, maintain hand hygiene with alcohol based hand rub. If hands are visibly soiled then wash it with soap and water
- Clean your hands, cover your cough with the bending of elbow or tissue.maintain a distance of at least 1 meter (3 feet) from people who are coughing or sneezing. These are the most effective ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19.
9. Take medical help
If you have fever, cold, cough, difficulty in breathing and feeling unwell then seek medical care early as possible. Don’t panic. Every cold, cough and fever like symptoms are not a COVID-19. Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19. Follow advice given by the doctors, national and local health authority on how to protect yourself and others from COVID-19. To get necessary medical help get connect on +91-11-23978046 or email at email@example.com
This information is in public interest. Author has no responsibility for any content written, and will not be liable for any type of losses. Readers have their own rights to follow or not to follow the above safety measures. All the information is taken from WHO website
Author – Sagar Wani is Business Head at LearnFatafat and has interest in current affairs.
Posted By – LearnFatafat
Reference Link(s) – Novel Coronavirus 2019